Monday, August 12, 2019

Playa Flamenco



Pad Thai was served at hot dog stands 
that summer in Bangkok, Canadian flag sewn 
on my grey backpack so I wouldn’t be 
mistaken 

for the elephant I climbed without its consent. 
He was the Empire State Building and I
had paid to see the view from the top. 

Up close, stray hairs 
on wrinkled leather skin, resembled 
my bubbie, who’s face I cradled between the 
bosom of my adolescent hands 

every Wednesday morning at Delly Boys,
where the waitress knew to have black coffee
and a piece of Rye bread toasted with 
no butter, waiting on the table.

My grandmother was a lifetime member 
of weight watchers, not because she had 
a weight problem. She lived with my obese aunt 
Sylvie and they were 

highly competitive. “I never had a problem 
with wrinkles” she’d say, because she didn’t
have a problem 

with her linen creased face, soft and milky
as Playa Flamenco, at the dawning 
of her sunset years.

August 7, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment