Monday, August 19, 2019

My life

My life 

I keep trying 
to get the level right
for the skimmers to work
it needs to be four 
fingers below the rim
not around 
four but
exactly four, which is 
hard to do when the weather
dips below 
eighty four degrees 
and the water steams up 
toward the sun like
it’s life depends 
on floating 
off the surface of
the pool, as quickly as 
Icarus before
his demise, and 
I turn on the
hose quickly to 
fill back to four
fingers when the steam 
decides to toughen up 
and returns to the pool
with a thunderous 
light show that lands 
two feet from where 
I was treading water, having
clearly 
miscalculated the 
number of seconds 
between explosions
which is
not to say I’m bad 
at math, I am
a strong swimmer and 
I pushed it to the 
rim 

ever since I was eight 
at the Hampstead pool 
when my mother called 
her voice, dark
loud,  “Get outta the 
pool!”, decades 
before the first 
Blackberry 
and then Apple,
it was our turn 
to put in our snack bar
order of hot dogs and
squished kinnishes,
it was my life and I
pleaded for one
more swim,

as if I were a 
mathematician, and 
a swim, a thing that 
could be measured.

Lori Polachek
August 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment