Tuesday, August 28, 2018

What if

My chest  pocket filled
with spare change,  I never have
for the meter. Never enough

to get a dorm room next to my son
to hold his keys while I overstay
my unwelcome.

The Super Bowl means nothing
and everything because they have
televisions in Africa where Brady

is a breakfast cereal they do
without. Which is why I had
a chocolate lava cake for dinner

and scraped the plate. It was
the least I could do. And

the most. I grabbed hold of my
son’s Adam’s apple and wrung
out the hair from his chin.

I made the bunk-bed
for him to lie in
during the gap year.

He took the smile we share,
and pulled my shoulder
from it’s socket

to starve the supply of blood to my
right hand, which I was growing
long enough to hold his

across the street lined
with beer bottles and barf.

He packed up the clean sheets
grabbed the keys

and drove away.

Lori Polachek
2017




No comments:

Post a Comment